Practice and practice tri

22 Aug

What a week! Actually, what a few weeks. Between getting ready for the benefit and flying to Rochester last weekend for Chad’s dad’s retirement party, my training completely fell by the wayside. Chad and I did manage to get a run in (I think we’re going to do the Treasure Island Tri in early November) when we were in Rochester, but it was impossible to bike or swim. Fortunately, I was spared the more greasy Rochester fare while I was there (no garbage plates, only one batch of Buffalo wings, and I could have drunk Genny Light at the party, but opted for Labatt’s Blue instead).

Then this week, preparing for the gig (oh, I love saying that) took up most of my time. Monday night, Chad and I went to see the Rowdies at their regular Monday night gig so I could support them a bit and also, admittedly, check out how they worked the mics. Tuesday morning was good–thank God for spinning class–and I got a little guitar practicing in that night. Wednesday night, the Nellies rehearsed at Cameron’s house, Thursday was the gig, Friday was recuperating (with our week #11 swim after work–after which I was EXHAUSTED). Which brings us to Saturday, the practice tri.

I ate my bagel and grabbed some coffee (thanks to Gillian’s visit to the nutritionist, I know I can safely drink it before a race. We triathletes need to stick together!), and headed up in Chad’s car to Paradise Park in Tiburon. The TNTers took over the parking lot. I had to bring our photo ID to the sign-up area, get “body-marked” with my race number onmy arms and legs and age on the back of my left calf, and get my paper race number for the run. Then we set up our transition areas behind our cars and Coaches April and Steve checked out our transition areas and awarded prizes for best, worst, biggest, smallest, etc. Here’s what I learned, since I missed the transition clinics:
1) Don’t bring a scrunchie, hair brush, or hair products unless you want the other triathletes–or just Coaches April and Steve–to mock you.
2) Keep it small, the size of a towel folded in half, unless you want the other triathletes to hate you.
3) Put everything in piles according to the order that you’ll be putting them on. So for T1, put your sunglasses (arms open) in your helmet, helmet with the strap undone and ready to be flipped onto your head, socks rolled slightly to make them go on faster, and shoes last.

We started off with a really short swim (not even a quarter mile–maybe .1 mile), then to the shore and up the stairs to the transition area. Here’s where I learned my most crucial (and painful) lesson of the day.

Don’t try taking your arms out of your wetsuit while climbing stairs.

I was so dizzy from the swim that my balance was already off. But feeling the pressure of reducing my transition time, I thought I’d be clever and start getting my arms out of my wetsuit as I went up the stairs. My arms got caught, I lost balance, and fell pretty hard, landing on my left thigh on the corner of a stair.

It felt sore for the rest of the race, but it didn’t inhibit me until that night. Chad and I went shopping and I was limping all over Union Square. Fortunately today and tomorrow are supposed to be rest days.

All in all, I finished the practice tri in about 1:15. The distances were .1? mile swim, 8 mile bike, 3 mile run. I think I could have even pushed myself harder.

Another good thing about the run was that Holly, who I ran with on the 1 mile intervals, was starting her run at exactly the same time as me. We ran together the whole way, which was great for helping me pace myself.

Today, Erika and I are going to help my honoree, A., with some grocery shopping and housecleaning. She and her husband, our guitar teacher, have been so busy lately. And, her doctor put her on this nonfat diet to try to clear up the problem of the fluid gathering around her lungs, so they’ve been struggling to find foods she can safely eat. Jen sent me recipes for two nonfat desserts. I was going to try to make one this morning, but I think I might make one tonight and drop it off before the vocals workshop Erika arranged with Kathy Kallick tomorrow night.

%d bloggers like this: