Dave LOVED the Moroccan-style Braised Pork with Couscous I made a while back, and consequently, that has been added to the repertoire. But I have struggled to settle on a good side dish for it. Also, it’s a 45-minute recipe with a flexible cook time (the braising can take anywhere from 20 minutes to 1 1/2 hours, your choice), which is perfect for the days I’m home and go to pick the Bug up at daycare, but not so ideal for the days when I’ll be working all day and then picking up the Bug.
Yesterday, I tried it in the slow cooker. The unfortunate thing is that, since our slow cooker has a ceramic insert, I could only use it for the braising step, which turns it into a two-pot dish. What you lose in ease-of-cleaning, you gain in flexibility of timing, so it’s a good solution for when I need to come home to dinner already made. I cooked it on high for about 4 hours, but you could also do low for longer.
Although the slow cooker solution wasn’t ideal, the side dish was.
Microwaved sweet potatoes
- Meal: dinner, 7/22
- Kid tried?: Yes.
- Keeper?: Yes.
- Cook’s grade: A+. While we were back East, my mom made baked sweet potatoes, which reminded me how much I love baked sweet potatoes. They are soooooooo gooooooooood. But they take 45 minutes to an hour, which doesn’t really work for us. I read something that suggested pricking them all over, then microwaving them for 10 minutes (5 minutes, then do another minute or two, check for doneness, repeat). I microwaved three sweet potatoes (actually garnet yams) for about 7 minutes, and they turned out well. Next time, I’d go for closer to 8 or 9 minutes, but they were tasty, especially with a little butter and a tiny sprinkling of brown sugar.
- Kid’s grade: A+. Bug asked for seconds and thirds. SUCCESS!
Microwaved sweet potatoes recipe
- Prick one or more (up to three) similarly sized sweet potatoes all over with a fork or paring knife
- Microwave on high for 5 minutes. Check for doneness.
- If they need more time, microwave them in intervals of 1 or 2 minutes at a time, checking for doneness each time. The total cooking time will likely be around 10 minutes.
- For toddlers, cut up the sweet potato and place it in the freezer to cool off. They will be “hot hot hot hot hot,” as the Bug says.